SIX BLACKSHIRT MENTORS WHOSE WORK IS VITAL TO HARVARD FOOTBALL MACHINE

In J. L. Donovan '24, M. W. Greenough '25, C. J. Hubbard '24, T. D. Blake '25, A. W. Samborski '25, and J. L. Knox '98, the University possesses half a dozen football coaches whose work is vital to the success of the Crimson eleven.

A tremendous task faces Coach Knox of the second team and his assistants every year. It falls on the shoulders of the black shirts' mentors to teach their charges four or five different sets of plays each season. At present the second team is well versed in plays important in the Dartmouth attack. Next week it will be the task of Coach Knox and his assistants to teach the scrub players the rudiments of the Princeton offense.

By putting on the plays of Dartmouth, Princeton, Brown, and Yale against the first eleven the scrubs become a more than significant factor in Harvard's football machinery, and great importance is attached to the work of the men pictured above. Coach Knox has been head coach of the second team for many years. Of the other men, Samborski and Blake are backfield tutors while Donovan, Greenough, and Hubbard, the last two former Crimson captains, have the linemen under their supervision.

Besides demonstrating plays of opponents of the first eleven, the second team plays a number of games with outside teams. To prepare the men for these contests is another task of the coaches. They have achieved success so far this season, as a fortnight ago the scrubs pinned defeat on St. John's Preparatory, 22 to 0.