MUCH DISCUSSED FOOTBALL AGREEMENT IS REPRINTED TO ENLIGHTEN STUDENTS

In view of the fact that the question of whether or not the Big Three football agreement is a handicap to Yale, Princeton, and Harvard is a widely discussed one at the present, the Crimson has seen fit to publish it again for the benefit of those who are not familiar with it. The complete agreement follows:

1.FINANCIAL ASSISTANCE OR INDUCEMENTS

The University Committee on Eligibility shall, in advance of competition, require of each candidate for competition in any sport a detailed statement of the sources of his financial support, including any sums earned during vacation. In the case of each athlete who is shown to have received financial aid from others than those on whom he is naturally dependent for support, the committee shall then, in advance of his competitions, submit the facts to the Committee of the Three Chairmen (representing the three universities) which shall decide upon his eligibility.

In cases in which the motives for extending aid to an athlete are not clear to the Committee of the Three Chairmen, that committee shall take into account failure on the part of the athlete to maintain a creditable record in his academic course in character, scholarship, and willingness to meet his obligations, as evidence that a continuance of financial aid to the athlete on grounds of character, scholarship, and conduct seems unwise, and that therefore the committee may have to declare him ineligible.

In interpreting Rules 1 and 2 below, the Committee of the Three Chairmen shall take into consideration the motives of those who give the aid and the motives of those who receive it.

1. No student who has ever received any pecuniary reward or its equivalent by reason of his connection with athletics--whether for playing, coaching or acting as teacher in any branch of sport or engaging therein in any capacity--shall represent his University in any athletic team or crew, except that the Committee of Three Chairmen may permit such participation in intercollegiate athletes by men ho might technically be debarred under the letters of the rule, but who, in the judgment of the University Committee on Eligibility, have not commercialized their athletic ability nor offended against the spirit of the foregoing provision.

2. No student shall represent his University in any athletic team or crew who received from other than those on whom he is naturally dependent for financial support money, by gift or loan, or the equivalent of money, such as board and lodgings, etc., unless the source and character of these gifts or payments to him shall be approved by the Committee of the Three Chairmen, on the ground that they have not accrued to him primarily because of his ability as an athlete. Cases are to be submitted in advance to the University Committee on Eligibility. A student who takes part in summer baseball or in the work of a summer camp, for example, without first securing the approval of the University Committee on Eligibility for his plans, jeopardizes his right thereafter to represent his University in any team or crew.

3. The University Committee on Eligibility shall have power, however, to grant permission in advance to a student to engage in athletics whether during term time or vacation, as the representative of an organization not connected with the University, under such conditions, not at variance with the spirit of the rule, as it may approve. It may also decide cases involving unintentional, technical, or trivial violations of the foregoing rules, which are intended to prevent discrimination either in favor of or against a student because he is an athlete.

Awards of all scholarships, prizes, and of all loans made by the University shall be approved by a duly authorized officer or committee of the University, and the terms, and the names of the recipients, of all scholarships and prizes shall be published in the catalogue of the University.

The three universities wholly disapprove of all propaganda, either through special inducements or through disparagement of other institutions, to induce boys in the schools to go to a particular institution. The defraying of part or all of the expense of visiting the university by anyone except the persons may be interpreted to disqualify him from representing that university in any intercollegiate sport, if in the judgment of the Committee of the Three Chairmen such aid was given to induce the recipient to enter that institution.

II. SCHOLASTIC STANDING

1. No student shall be eligible to membership in a University team or crew until he has completed satisfactorily a full year's work at the requirements for advancement with his class as determined by the Faculty.

2. No student shall be eligible for a University or Freshman team or crew unless he is in good scholastic standing at his University, as determined by the faculty of that institution.

3. No student shall be eligible for membership in any University team or crew who has lost his class standing because of deficiency in scholarship or because of University discipline, until after one year from the time at which he lost his class standing, unless in the meantime he shall have been restored to his former class standing by action of his University Faculty.

III. THREE-YEAR RULE AND TRANSFERRED STUDENTS

1. No student shall compete in intercollegiate athletics in a University team or crew in more than three different academic years.

2. No student in a graduate school or in a professional school of graduate standing shall be eligible for membership in a University team or crew.

3. Any student who has, while enrolled in another university or college, taken part in competitive athletics as a member of his university, college, or class team or crew, while playing against opponents not members of that institution, shall be in ineligible to represent Harvard, Yale, or Princeton in any sport in which he so represented his former university or college.

4. Only those institutions which are named in " Carnegie List" as universities or colleges shall be regarded as such in the application of the preceding paragraph, with the addition of West Point and Annapolis.

IV. GENERAL RULES

1. Coaching Systems

1. If should be the aim of each university, as far as practicable, to have the coaching of all teams done only by members of its regular staff.

2. No coach shall receive for his services any money or other valuable consideration except through the University authorities.

3. While under contract no coach shall write for publication on the subject of athletics without first submitting for approval by the University authorities any articles intended for publication.

4.The provisions of Paragraphs 2 and 3 shall be incorporated in any contract hereafter made with an athletic coach.

2. Football Games

1. The training of football teams shall not begin at the University or elsewhere prior to September fifteenth in any academic year.

2. The number of intercollegiate games shall be reduced to a number consistent with the shortened season prescribed in the preceding paragraph.

3. No post-season contests, or contests for the purpose of setting sectional or other championships, or involving long and expensive trips or extended absence from the University, shall be permitted.

4. No member of the Freshman class shall be absent from required College exercises in order to take part in more than two football games in a season.

5. The efforts of the Central Board of Officials to uphold the fearless administration of the rules and the maintenance of the highest standards of sportsmanship are heartily endorse.

3. Athletic Schedules

In making the schedules effort shall be made, so far as possible, to arrange contests only with teams representing institutions employing similar standards of eligibility and similar training methods.

4. Athletic Publicity

The matter of publicity shall be subject to constant supervision and study in an effort to lessen undue emphasis upon athletics in general and football in particular.

Under this agreement, Harvard, Yale and Princeton agree to submit to a committee composed of the chairmen of their athletic boards all debatable questions affecting their relations with one another, and through this agreement the three universities hope to improve conditions and to establish intercollegiate athletics more securely in the proper position as valuable elements in a wholesome college life.

In February, 1925, the Committee of the Three Chairmen made the following agreement in regard to the salaries of football coaches:

"Subject to contracts now existing the annual budget for coaching varsity football teams at Harvard. Yale and Princeton, shall not exceed $22,500 after September 1, 1926. As between Yale and Harvard, the salary of the head coach of the varsity football team shall not exceed $10,000 for the coach beginning September 1, 1925, $9,000 for the year beginning September 1 1926, and $8,000 annually thereafter until further action shall be taken.

Though not made a part of the vote it was agreed that the practice of permitting a coach to receive a bonus for alumni, or from other outside sources be forbidden.