COADY IS ELECTED FOOTBALL CAPTAIN

Captained His Freshman Hockey Sextet--Prepared at Exeter and Newton--Next Year's Prospects Bright

Clement Duane Coady '27 of West Newton was yesterday elected captain of the University football team for 1926.

Coady has been one of the outstanding performers on the eleven for two seasons. Last year he played a powerful game at left tackle. This fall he was shifted to fullback, and assumed the burdens of the interfering and defensive tack, along with the punting duties. At punting and backing up the line he was a capable backfield man, but he was more valuable in the line and went back to tackle after the Princeton game. His work in the line against Brown and Yale caused much favorable comment.

Prepared at Newton and Exeter

Captain Cheek's successor is 22 years old, 6 feet tall, and weights 190 pounds. He prepared for college at Newton High School and Exeter. At Newton he first became prominent when he played on the hockey team captained by George Owen Jr. '23, in 1919. The next year he was the star of the hockey team, and played on the football and baseball teams. At Exeter, where he went the year before he entered college, he was shifted from tackle where he had starred at Newton, to fullback.

Two years ago on the Freshman team Coady played fullback and did the punting. In the winter he captained the 1927 hockey team.

Last year he was ineligible for hockey, but went out for baseball and played first base in most of the early games.

Prospects are bright for Captain Coady's eleven. The ends of the line should be well fortified with Sayles and Saltonstaff from this year's team, Dean and Gamache of last year's eleven, and O'Connell, Burns, and Prior, Freshman wingmen.

Coady will probably hold down a tackle berth, with Lindner and Pratt also available. Kilgour, Tripp, and Daley are strong guards who will return, and Turner will be back at center. In the backfield there will be Stafford, field general for two years who intends to return next fall. Halfbacks who have been on the University squad will be Miller, Zarakov, Crosby, Chauncey, Barbee, and Nordberg. It is also hoped that Linscott, Freshman fullback last year will be available. From the 1929 team Captain French is a promising triple threat man.

The election of Coady, if he is considered as a lineman, makes the score four-all between linemen and backs among Harvard gridiron leaders since the way W. J. Murray '20, Arnold Horween '21, C. C. Buell '23, and M. A. Cheek '26 are the backfield men who have commanded the Crimson forces, and the linemen are R. K. Kane '22, C. J. Hubbard '24, and M. W. Greenough '25.