LARGE CAST NAMED FOR ANNUAL MIRACLE PLAY

TWO PRESENTATIONS TO BE GIVEN ON DECEMBER 16 AND 17

The third annual miracle play will be presented next Thursday and Friday evenings, December 16 and 17. There will be two performances each evening, at 7.30 and 9 o'clock. This year's play is given by members of the Dramatic Club, assisted by members of the Idler Club of Radcliffe.

D. F. Robinson '26, who is coaching the production, translated the original manuscript from Latin. This original manuscript, of German origin, consists of three parts with a prologue. The prologue has been adapted to this production by Professor Francke. The third part, which was added at a somewhat later date to the original manuscript, is omitted entirely. This enables two performances to be given each evening.

Has Elaborate Tableaux

Two features of this play distinguish it from those of preceding years. The first part consists of a debate between the prophets and a high priest concerning the possibilities of a virgin birth. There are several elaborate tableaux, lighted, and accompanied by music, with some chants sung in Latin.

This production is the first one of German origin that has been presented. Last year the play was translated from an old French manuscript, and the year before an ancient English version was given, dating from the thirteenth century. This play is really a Christmas mystery play, one of the earliest types of drama. A miracle play is properly a drama dealing with the career of some saint.

Although there are an unusual number of characters, the number of spoken lines is few. This is because of the frequent use of chants set to music. The setting is a replica of the entrance to the Freiberg Cathedral of Saxony, a thirteenth century masterpiece.

The cast announced by Robinson is as follows: Isaiah  H. C. Fox '28 Aaroa  M. L. Bell '29 Sibyle  Helen Chandler High Priest  G. K. Bishop '27 St. Augustine  G. G. Bishop '27 Mary  Helen Lewis First Angel  Rhodita Edwards Elizabeth  Grace Michelman Joseph  C. C. Woolley '29 First King  Murray Pease '26 Second King  D. W. Moreland '28 Third King  F. Kent Smith '29 First Messenger  Charles Hicks '29 Second Messenger  W. A. MeCausland '29 Herod  A. L. Dickson '27 First Shepherd  Charles Leatherbee '29 Second Shepherd  James Pates '28 Devil  D. F. Robinson '26 Second Angel  Mary Coperton Third Angel  Constance Templeton