Junior Points Out That Wellesley Journal Misconstrued Biblical Text by Using "Asses" in Place of "She-Asses"

When the editors of the Wellesley News sought to find out why, when Saul set out to look for his father's asses, he neglected the vicinity of Cambridge, they probably did not expect the large number of answers that have been hazarded by Harvard and M. I. T. students. But one Junior, more energetic than the rest, has looked up the passage in the original, and has thrown more light on the problem. In a letter to the CRIMSON L. W. Schwarz '26 writes:

"Your recent article on Mr. Dunton's 'Wild Asses' is an interesting example of what philologians would call 'misplaced epithets.' Cambridge has a right to feel honored when a Wellesley newspaper places it in that category of places to which journalism so rarely applies biblical verses. But we regret that Wellesley has already imbibed the spirit of Dr. Moffatt's new version of the Bible. Dr. Moffatt felt justified in changing 'ark' to 'barge' and 'lice' to 'mosquitoes' so that the Bible again might become a living document. Is it by the same logic, then, that the Wellesley newspaper uses the word 'asses' when the text properly construes 'she asses.'"