MUTT MORALITY

It is a far cry from Mutt and Jeff to a "Good Bad Woman," yet Mr. James M. Call draws an analogy between them that should prove more than amusing. An editorial writer on the World, he dares to denounce in the current Nation his journal's advocacy of play censorship. Art may take it or leave it; and if he wants amusement without art, that, too, is up to him. Mr. Cain has brought the argument to the World's own doorstep. Its comic strips lay no claim to artistic intent, and they very frequently lanse into coarseness. If burlesque shows amuse "sailors, soldiers, and taxicab drivers, then these citizens of the United States are entitled to their amusement. Why should they be bothered with art?" If, at the same time, publishing the immoral (and immoral does not necessarily mean pornographic) antics of Mutt and Jeff receives approval, especially financial, from its public, Mr. Cain would be the last to condemn their cavortings.

But if the World proposes to continue its attack it ought first look to its own position. It is a mighty influential pot to be calling kettles black.