STUDENT FRIENDSHIP FUND FAILS OF GOAL

Freshman Class Especially Fail in Support of Hitherto Popular Fund While Cleverly Entry Gives $2

Coming to the official closing hour of its campaign at a late hour last night, the Student Friendship Fund crossed the $2,000 mark, still almost $2,000 below its desired goal. The Committee directing the drive have been best with numerous difficulties which culminated last night in the fact that 41, out of the 104 collectors which were appointed, had failed to make their reports. As a result of this the committee has announced that it will continue the drive until tonight.

The unprecedented lack of response which the drive has inspired among the undergraduates has been attributed by the committee to several causes. They believe that this year's campaign is at a decided handicap because it is coming so late in the college year. Last year it was carried on in January before the members of the University had been called upon to make so many charitable donations and consequently was much better received. They do not feel, however, that this can alone be a sufficient cause, as this fund has always been the largest of any subscribed to in the University.

The indifference of the collectors who have been appointed to gather the subscriptions has greatly surprised the members of the committee. These men were originally asked to turn in their collections on Saturday night and yet on Monday evening more than a third of them had made no report. There has been a particular lassitude among the Freshmen, seven out of the 13 appointees having failed to make any of their progress. In the past the Freshman class has always been the group to give the drive the most enthusiastic support and yet this year have given only what may be called nominal support.

Many entries among the dormitories owned by the college are among those not yet heard from. In many cases the collections which have, been turned in have been extremely low. In one entry in Cleverly, for instance, the collector was only able to obtain two dollars.

The committee had made a special appeal that the collectors finish up their work and make a last report no later than this evening. In view of the fact that the small showing to date is mostly due to the slowness of these men, the committee feels that they will still be able to put their fund over its desired goal if they receive whole-hearted co-operation on this its last day.