SECOND SERIES OF MILTON FUND AWARDS FOR RESEARCH ANNOUNCED BY UNIVERSITY

Allotments Amounting to Over $56,000 Made Awards for One or Two Years

Announcement has been made at the University of the second series of annual awards to professors in the University in accordance with the provisions of the Milton Fund for Research. Allotments are made at present for not more than two years and 27 awards are made at this time amounting to something over $41,000 for 1925-26 and $15,500 for 1926-27.

The bulk of the estate of the late William F. Milton '58 went, on the death of his wife, to Harvard University to be used for building a University library, or, if the University had a suitable library building, to defray the expense of any investigation "in the interests of, or for promoting the physical and material welfare and prosperity of the human race, or to assist in the discovery and perfecting of any special means of alleviating or curing human disease, or to investigate and determine the value or importance of any discovery or invention, or any other special or temporary object of the nature above stated." Specifically it was mentioned that the investigation might be medical, geographical, historical, or scientific in character.

Legacy Yields $15,000 Annually

The Milton legacy yields an annual income of about $15,000. A committee was appointed to advise the Corporation in making a selection among the investigations proposed by any member of the instructing scientific or administrative staff of the University. The committee has consisted of F. B. Jewett, electrical engineer of New York, chairman; Professor E. F. Gay, Hon. '18, of the Economics Department, and Professor W. J. V. Osterhout, of the Department of Botany.

According to the recommendations of the Committee, grants from the Milton Fund for the next year, or for two years where so specified, have been awarded to the following persons for the objects specified:

E. A. Hooton, Assistant Professor of Anthropology, for the purchase of a machine, recently developed in the psychological laboratory of Princeton, for calculating coefficients of correlation in research in the anthropological laboratory.

Shapley Receives Award

Harlow Shapley, Paine Professor of Practical Astronomy and Director of the Harvard College Observatory, to purchase apparatus providing automatic temperature controls and comparison spectrum accessories for two stellar spectographs at the Observatory.

G. P. Baxter '96, Professor of Chemistry, for two years, for research connected with the determination of atomic weights through the density and compressibilities of gases. Results obtained with oxygen and helium have proved very valuable, and it is hoped that in the immediate future the studies may include experiments on hydrogen, nitrogen, and some of the rare gases.

G. S. Forbes '02, Associate Professor of Chemistry, for supplies used in a research connected with the oxidation potentials in liquid ammonia.

Grinnell Jones '08, Associate Professor of Chemistry, to purchase apparatus and supplies for electrochemical investigation of the properties of solution of salts.

H. H. Burbank, G. '15, Associate Professor of Economics, for two years, for an investigation of the history of the direct or general property tax in Massachusetts.

J. H. Williams, G, '16, Assistant Professor of Economics, for preparation of material for a book the purpose of which is to analyze the economic causes and effects of international movements of capital.

Sauvern to Study Iron Corrosion

W. F. Dearborn, Professor of Education and Acting Dean of the School of Education, to allow him to devote himself to the supervision of the major research enterprise of the Graduate School of Education, "an investigation of the mental and physical development of school children by means of annually repeated measurements of several thousands of the same individuals from the time of their entrance into school to the time of the completion of their formal education."

C. A. Adams, G. '93, Abbott and James Lawrence Professor of Engineering, for research having for its objective the better understanding of the mechanism of the dielectric phenomena in solid dielectrics.

Albert Sauveur, Gordon McKay Professor of Metallurgy and Metallography, to allow him to prosecute with greater speed and efficiency his metallurgical investigations, including the corrosion of iron and steel, the influence of casting conditions on the physical properties of iron and steel, and grain size of pure metals.

E. W. Forbes '95, Lecturer on Fine Arts and Director of the Fogg Art Museum, for a study of the value of X-rays in detecting forgeries and the repainting of pictures.

C. R. Post '04, Professor of Greek and of Fine Arts, for an investigation in Spain and other countries of Europe of material for a general "History of Spanish Painting."

Reisner to Continue Egyptian Work

G. A. Reisner '89, Professor of Egyptology and Director of the Harvard-Boston Egyptian Expedition, for making finished scale drawings of Giza, Egypt, where his research is done, to be used in the preparation of historical material bearing on the history of Ethiopia and the cultural history of the Old Kingdom in Egypt.

G. V. Douglas, Instructor in Geology, to purchase a quartz spectograph for determining the minor constituents of minerals, ores, and rocks, and the composition of minute grains too small to be analyzed in other ways.

R. P. Blake, G. '09, Assistant Professor of History, for the purchase of 1000 photostatic prints of the Famulus Type secured from the Greek Patriarchal Library at Jerusalem, Palestine, to permit him to make a text of the Georgian version in Biblical criticism accessible to the scholarly world.

W. C. Ford, Hon. '07, Lecturer on historical manuscripts, for further researches connected with rare Americana in London and Paris, and American documents in the Public Records Office at London.

C. H. Mcllwain, G. '03, Professor of History and Government, to assist in securing data necessary for a history of the political thought of the 16th century.

J. H. Woods '87, Professor of Philosophy, for two years, to complete research connected with the Visuddhi Magga and literature relating to this book.

E. C. Jeffrey, G. '99, Professor of Plant Morphology, to assist in his study of trees in Australia and New Zealand.

William McDougall, Professor of Psychology, to assist his research on the transmission of acquired characters.

Adelbert Fernald, G. '96, Instructor in Orthodontia and Curator of the Dental Museum, for two years; to assist in perfecting measuring instruments for ascertaining the natural development of normal bone growth in a child from birth so that a comparison of the normal average bone growth of a healthy child may be made with those which are abnormal, to the twelfth or thirteenth year of age.

Physalia Studied by Parker

G. P. Parker '87, Professor of Zoology and Director of the Zoological Laboratory, to assist his research study in the nerve transmission of Physalia.

R. C. Cabot '89, Professor of Clinical Medicine and Professor of Social Ethics, for two years, for a study, desired by the Department of Social Ethics, of the results of the treatment of delinquents in Massachusetts.

W. J. Crozier, G. '14, Associate Professor of General Physiology, to conduct research to determine the physico-chemical nature of the central nervous Activities.

P. W. Bridgman '04, Professor of Physics, for expenses in connection with his high pressure investigations.

E. C. Kemble, Assistant Professor of Physics, to defray the expenses of experimental investigation of the influence of a magnetic field on band spectra.

S. R. Detwiler, Assistant Professor of Zoology, to assist his researches in the field of Experimental Neurology