Explorer Greeted by Withering Heat in University's Subterranean Passages--Steam Pipes Occupy Tunnels

Few Harvard students, as they walk prosaically about the Yard, on commonplace gravel walks, realize that unseen individuals like a Beet of moles, are hurrying through subterranean tunnels not more than a yard beneath their feet.

The tunnels contain enormous pipes, which come from the power plant at the corner of Boylston Street and the Parkway, and carry the steam that heats practically all of the College buildings. These pipes enter through Smith Halls and there the tunnel system begins. All the Freshman dormitories are connected by two underground passages, one that carries steam pipes, and one used for transporting food from the kitchens in smith where the seeking for all four Freshman dining halls is done.

The tunnel carrying the steam pipes runs from the Freshman dormitories, past Cleverly and Randolph, and into the Yard, where it connects all the buildings in the enclosure.

The tunnel is everywhere large enough to enable a man to stand creet and walk comfortably, providing that the walker does not mind a temperature of over 100 degrees Fahrenheit. Everywhere, that is except the point where it crosses Massachusetts Avenue. At this point the subterranean traveler must get in a little car and pull himself over the small space between the street surface and the so-called Elevated Sub way.

The tunnels, incidentally, are reserved for the use of engineers and offer heat-resisting officials and are not open to the public for the purpose of attending classes unseen.