SEES DIFFICULTIES IN IDEAL COLLEGE

Individual Work Distasteful to Senior Faculty Members--Plan to Increase Student Responsibility

That the plan of Max Mason, president of the University of Chicago, for an "ideal college," in which examinations and credits would be abolished, is typical of the present tendency among American colleges to throw more responsibility upon the students, was the opinion expressed by W. E. Clark '03, visiting professor from the University of Chicago. President Mason's plans would make opportunity, rather than compulsion, the keynote of educational institutions, and would do away with examinations, the present stereotyped method of obtaining credits, and all routine except that which is self-imposed.

Although President Mason has announced no definite plants for changing the pedagogical methods of the University of Chicago he has indicated that the general line of improvement will be towards better equipping the student for his future work.

But Professor Clark pointed out several difficulties towards the establishment of this plan. "Many of the older faculty members," he said, "do not wish to give their time to instructing under graduates individually, and would strongly oppose the adoption of President Mason's reforms. At the same time, there are many students who come to college for a good time, with little interest in studies. This class, in addition to undergraduates who have not the initiative to work alone without assignments, will be entirely out of ploe under the proposed system.

Professor Clark, however, remarked that Harvard has taken a long stride towards the accomplishment of the purpose behind President Mason's proposal. Tutorial work, as well as the freedom granted honors candidates, who in their last year may take less than the prescribed number of courses, are steps leading towards the plan proposed by the Chicago president. Another step is