Harvard Student Had Rigorous Religious Training in 1734--Girls at Mt. Holyoke Seminary Washed Potatoes

The following enlightening article from the Vermont Cynic shows the vicissitudes through which our forebears went in attending Harvard and Mt. Holyoke in days gone by.

Students who feel the reins of faculty supervision somewhat harsh and undemocratic, who stand in dread of the possibility of compulsory chapel, and who protest loudly at the meager allowance of cuts afforded by the department heads, might sleep a little easier and enjoy life a little more thoroughly after reading a few excerpts from the Harvard College regulations of 1734. Some of the most interesting--when viewed from this distant perspective--follow.

"Sec. VI. All the Scholars shall, at Sunset in the evening preceding the Lord's Day, retire to their chambers, and not unnecessarily leave them; and all disorders on said evenings shall be punished as violations of the Sabbath are. And every Scholar, on the Lord's Day, shall carefully apply himself to the Duties of Religion and Piety. And whosoever shall profane said Day by unnecessary Business or Visiting, Walking on the Common, or in the Streets or Fields in the town of Cambridge, or by any sort of Diversion before sunset shall be fined 10 shillings.

"Sec. IX. Undergraduates shall repeat at least the main heads of the forenoon and afternoon sermons on Lord's Day evenings in the Hall, and such as are Delinquent shall be punished--not exceeding three shillings."

But if 1734 at Harvard seems long ago and far away, consider one of Wesleyan's younger sisters--or girl friends, rather. Considerably less than a century ago the following regulations were more or less observed at Mt. Holyoke:

"1. No young lady shall become a member of Mt. Holyoke Seminary who cannot kindle a fire, wash potatoes, repeat the multiplication table, and at least two-thirds of the shorter catechism.

"2. Every member of the school shall walk at least one mile a day, unless a freshet, earthquake, or some other calamity prevent. The bounds to the north are marked by a stake, also those to the south and west.

"4. No young lady shall devote more than one hour a day to miscellaneous reading. The Atlantic Monthly, Shakespeare, Scott's Works, Robinson Crusoe and other immoral works are strictly prohibited. The Boston Record, Missionary Herald. Doddridge's Rise and Progress and Washington's Farewell Address are earnestly recommended for light reading.

"5. No young lady is expected to have any gentleman acquaintances, unless they are returned missionaries or agents of benevolent societies. Daguerrotypes and plaster busts are also prohibited."