MENS SANA--

Writers from Goethe to Will Durant have attempted to diagnose that peculiar mental condition which in certain cases results from adolescence and scholarship. The results have been often interesting but rarely have they been successful--probably because such men as critics necessarily had to confine themselves to theories and generalities. Generalities can never adequately account for the mental repression of youth; each man is an individual and his particular psychology is the determinate factor in what eventually happens to him. Therefore it is probable that the Department of Mental Hygiene, establishing as it does personal contact with and immedate injuiry into the "emotional turmoil" of the student, is the most effective solution to what will always be a problem, whether recognized or not, in any University or College.

The fact that the majority of students who consult this bureau may or may not have real difficulties is of little importance. If a man is benefited by a conference at Wadsworth House the justification of the Mental Hygiene Department has been established. The article on the Department, in today's CRIMSON, very frankly admits that "the troubles are not deep seated". Helpful advice, however, for those who think they need it is never to be scorned, even by a man who has no "troubles" whatsoever. The service of the Department of Mental Hygiene is of that nature which not infrequently receives more misunderstood censure than deserved praise. At Harvard it is an indubitable asset.