Saltonstall, Bell, and Barbee Chosen Senior Class Marshals

Atwater, Williams Win Chorister and Orator Posts -- Abbott, Clark, Dreier Also Honored

Nine officers of the class of 1928 were elected yesterday from a list of 32 nominees whose names had been proposed for the first group of Senior elections. The remaining officers of the class will be filled at the election to be held Friday, for which nominations will be made tomorrow.

William Gurdon Saltonstall, of Readville, was elected First Marshal. Saltonstall prepared at Milton and Exeter and during his college career has been captain of the Freshman hockey team, a regular on the squad this year, and first string end on the football team a year ago. As a crew-man he has been in the first Freshman boat, a year later in the Second University crew, and last spring he rowed against Yale in the first University shell. He was president of his class in its Sophomore year and now is president of the Philips Brooks House and the Student Council.

Dudley Bell of Waltham, the newly-elected Second Marshal, prepared at Exeter. He was vice-president of his class and captain of the 1928 football team in his Freshman year. Last year he was substitute center and this year held the pivot position regularly throughout the season. John Newton Barbee, Jr., of Chicago, III., the third Marshal, entered the University from the Carl Schurz High School in Chicago. For two years Barbee has been pitcher in the baseball lineup and center or guard in the basketball team, of which he is captain this year. He held the presidency of his class last year.

The permanent Treasurer of the Class of 1928, Thorndike Dudley Howe of Boston, prepared at Andover, and since his matriculation has divided his interests between the Instrumental Club, of which he is president, and the wrestling team, which he leads this year as captain. Charles Cortez Abbott, the Poet, whose home is in Cambridge, prepared at Browne and Nichols and is president of the Advocate. The newly-elected Chorister, William Clarke Afwater, of Wellesley Hills, entered Harvard from Middlesex. In his Freshman year Atwater captained the 150-pound crew and this year is president of the Glee Club. John Caspar Dreier of Brooklyn, N. Y., prepared at the Polytechnic School there, and has been active in lacrosse and the Phillips Brooks House, of which he is social service secretary. He also holds a post in the Instrumental Clubs. The Ivy Orator, Edward Frank Clark. Jr., of Plainfield. N. J. prepared at Loomis and is now a member of the Lampoon Board. Barrett Williams of Boston, who has been chosen Orator, prepared at Country Day School and in College has been prominent in both the Debating Union and the Debating team