WELCOME HOME, BILL

The arrival of that far-famed native son, Mr. Thompson of Chicago, yelept "Big Bill", has been the signal for none of the customary fanfare accorded to the casual Greater Boston boy who makes good in the West. Even the elements assisted in a noticeable congealing process as the first citizen of that boisterous, windy, middle western metropolis blew into town. For there persists a feeling that Mr. Thompson has vulgarized bigotry and ignorance,--a thing wholly abominable to the Bostonian tradition of suppression. "More and taller flag poles", is "Big Bill's" opening contribution to Americana. "All the better to sit upon," is the only reply from the birth place of that typically American pastime.

But Mr. Thompson, college editors and the slightly envious press agents of the eastern mayors to the contrary, is not a complete fool. His slogan is obviously, "praise me or damn me, but be sure to mention my name", and there is little doubt that all the maligning he receives in the public press will do more than increase his plurality in the next Chicago election. Politics and publicity are synonymous, and the easiest way to attain the latter is by insulting the intelligentsia and amusing the thinking minority. Harrying the agents of George the Fifth from the land and smoking a brace of cigars simultaneously are only a passing indication of the range and color of his demagogical accomplishments. Along with "the World's Greatest Newspaper", another Chicago product. It is unbelievable that much of his yammering is lot of the tongue in the check variety Perhaps he is a great humorist, and there is a suspicion that he possesses certain good natured give-and-take virtues which would have delighted a Harvard audience had he been invite and accepted a request to speak in Cambridge. The John Roach Straton tradition is becoming slightly worn.