SARGENT FUNERAL IS TO BE HELD TOMORROW

IN CHARGE OF PARK SINCE DATE OF CREATION IN 1872

The funeral of Professor Charles Sprague Sargent '62, Arnold Professor of Arboriculture and Director of the Arnold Arboretum, will take place at St. Paul's Episcopal Chapel in Brookline tomorrow at 2.30 o'clock.

Professor Sargent died at his home. "Holm Lea," in Brookline yesterday, following a short illness of only two weeks, up to which time he had gone to the Arboretum every day. He had been in charge of the Arboretum since it was created in 1872 from a bequest of John Arnold to Harvard for that purpose. This was the most important of the many tasks connected with the progressing study of horticulture and forestry which he undertook. He conducted the first census of the forest resources of the United States, which led to the first federal action of importance in this field.

Professor Sargent was born in Boston, April 24, 1841, and was the son of Ignatius and Henrietta (Grey) Sargent. He prepared for college at Dixwell's School and received his degree in 1862. The following year he entered the service of his country, becoming a Lieutenant in the Second Louisiana Infantry. He was breveted Major "for faithful and meritorious service" during the campaign against Mobile. Following his honorable discharge at the end of the war, he turned his attention to horticulture and arboreal pursuits, identifying himself with Harvard, where he was Professor of Horticulture and then a Director of the Botanic Garden, holding the latter position until after the creation of the Arnold Arboretum.

In 1923 the Frank N. Meyer Agricultural medal was awarded to Professor Sargent by the American Genetic Association. The medal was presented to him by President Lowell at a luncheon of the overseers committee on the Arnold Arboretum.