SCOTT NEARING ATTACKS MODERN INSTRUCTION

Socialist Declares Colleges Are Run by Capitalists--Defeat in War Would be Good Thing for Education

"A defeat in war would greatly better educational instruction in the United States," said Scott Nearing, well known socialist lecturer, to a CRIMSON reporter recently. "If this country were defeated in the next war, which is quite improbable, the ruling class, the capitalist class would be overturned, and the teachings of universities would cease to be capitalistic.

"In America, the college student is trained to enter his business or profession with the purpose of accumulating wealth, and then retiring to live on other people's work. Were the United States under the power of another country, however, this condition would undoubtedly change, and the economic development of the country would be accelerated by the enlightenment of the universities.

"American universities today are run by capitalists," added Mr. Nearing. "The working class does not have a chance, as do the people in Russia, to become cultured. All men are born as socialists, but the fortunate ones who are able to gain pecuniary incomes soon become capitalists and forget about the vast majority of those who depend on them. Were today's capitalist however, to be come suddenly poor, he too, would revert to Socialism."