"SHANGHAI ALIENS SAFE"--HORNBECK

Foreign Troops Participate in Police Duty--Predicts Nationalist Spread Over China

There has been no official Nationalist attack upon the Foreign Settlements at Shanghai, and I do not think there is likely to be," said Professor S. K. Hornbeck in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday.

Professor Hornbeck continued by saying that the shooting and rioting in Shanghai which have occurred during the Nationalist capture of the native city where limited largely to the struggles of the Chinese armies. "The action which the foreign defense forces were required to take," he added, "was a police action such as was expected would be necessary where there was a disorderly mob. The situation which has developed vindicates the judgement of the foreign governments in sending armed forces to supplement the local police and volunteer in the expected task of preventing invasion of the Settlement by disintegrating units of the defeated Chinese army, and mob action brought on by propaganda.

"At the time when the first of China's treaties with foreign powers was made, in 1842," continued Professor Hornbeck, "the Chinese city of Shanghai was a walled city of some 500,000 inhabitants. After the port was 'opened' by a treaty with the British, the Chinese officials set aside an area outside the city where it was agreed the British should live and carry on their business; also an area for the French, and an area for the Americans. The foreigners developed these areas, turned empty, swampy mud flats into a great modern city. The Americans and British combined their areas and made them into an International settlement.

Under Chinese Jurisdiction

"The original Chinese city remains Chinese, and is under Chinese jurisdiction. The Foreign Settlements, however, are under the jurisdiction of local Councils elected by the local foreign tax payers. Between 30,000 and 40,000 foreigners now live in the International Settlement and the French Concession. Over 1,200,000 Chinese have come, as a matter of privilege, into the foreign settlements, because there they are safe and prosper under good government.

"The foreigners and Chinese living in these areas view with apprehension the suggestion that the administration be turned over to the Chinese authorities, because the experience of the ex-German, ex-Austrian and ex-Russian areas, turned back to Chinese jurisdiction during the past 10 years shows that in those areas the condition of the life and property, both of foreigners and Chinese, has become less satisfactory than formerly."

Asked if he thought the Nationalists would achieve success, Professor Horn- beck replied: "The Nationalist idea will eventually, I think, prevail all over China. Whether the present drive of the Nationalist government, merely a manifestation of the idea, will go on to Pekin or not, I am not prepared to say. With the advance on Shanghai they have gained control of about one half the country. Much severer fighting awaits them, however, if they begin to advance north of the Yangtse River into the Northern home territory. As for the present movement making China into a formidable world power, I do not believe that China will become imperialistic, certainly not in the near future."

In conclusion, Professor Hornbeck said, "The Nationalist movement is a bigger thing than the Nationalist party. I believe in the Nationalist movement, which is nation-wide, and extends beyond the field of politics. I believe in it because national self-consciousness, expressed in a general awakening, is making toward progress, toward national unity, toward independence. When this has become a world of truly independent states, law will have some chance of being conclusive in international relations.