THE WAR MEMORIAL

In a discussion of the memorial to honor Harvard's war dead two issues arise-the ideal and the practical. They are separate and distinct and should remain so. The CRIMSON is thoroughly in sympathy with the sincerity of the committee which has proposed this church, now definitely announced for erection in the Yard. Concerning the practical issue it has objections. Those objections--that a new church is unnecessary, for the dual reason that Appleton Chapel in performing its spiritual function has come to be an essential part of the Yard environment, and also that it is capable of housing those who wish to attend services--have been raised before, are shared by others, and will remain as factors which have met defeat. These arguments have been over-ruled and a church is promised for the Yard.

Prive and personal opinion cannot be forced to coincide with the opinions of others. Harvard men as individuals may be antipathetic toward the monument now determined. In a matter of this sort, however, external unison is a requisite for the efficacy of the project. Therefore, since there is to be a memorial and since that memorial is to be placed in the Yard all opposing exceptions dwindle. Nothing is so destructive as quibbling over a subject whose nature is as dignified as inartificial--and as intangible--as is this. There is something greater and finer than quarrels as to place, plans and particulars--and no reasoning that such quarrels are necessary for perfection can destroy the basic truth of this statement.

The CRIMSON remains firms in its arguments concerning practicality. But this and all other controversies will bow to the presence of reality. Debate on this matter is both futile and unnecessary.