EVIDENCE

Contrary evidence to the theory that the youth of the present day and more particularly the college youth is of godless generation and that universities are but hotbed of atheism might be found in the collection of Phillips Brooks House addresses which Scribners announces for publication under the title of "Religion and Modern Life". Although in no sense sectarian in their appeal these talks, given by men prominent in the University, have managed to draw audiences--perhaps not large but at least representative--which have listened respectfully, unconscious of any difference in ideals between themselves and the speakers.

Denominal worship has been of necessity forced to play a minor part in active life of large educational institutions. This does not mean, however, that students are therefore less religious or that modern teaching methods tend to make them so. It means that religion has been relegated to one's own personal feeling and belief. Few will be able to read this series of talks and still remain under the impression that the spiritual has no place in the life of youth. It is possibly emphasized less than at certain previous periods but its presence is still very real.