NEW ENGLAND HAS FARMING FUTURE

Predicts 1927 as Profitable Year for Farmers--Increased Wealth Foreseen for Nation

"Agriculture in the future has as great possibilities in New England as it has in any other section of America", said William M. Jardine, Secretary of Agriculture of the United States, in a special interview with the CRIMSON yesterday.

"Nearly all of the elements that determine the agricultural status of any section of the country forecast to us that New England, as an agricultural district, is very productive and has a very efficient farm system. Throughout the United States as a whole, 40 per cent of the land now farmed is farmed by land tenants. That is, only 60 per cent of the men in the country who own land, do their own farming on it. This, indeed, is a very low percentage for any country hoping for agricultural advancement. However, of the 160,000 farms in New England, 93 per cent of them are worked by the owners. This means a great advantage for New England, in that those producing its crops are working their own land, and consequently produce better food; and on the whole, carry on a more efficient and more profitable business."

Forecasts Next Year's Production

Prognosticating the prospects for the coming year, in the agricultural world, Secretary Jardine said, "According to the expected crop of all grains, and other agricultural products, the year 1927 promises to be far above normal. Next year, eight per cent more land will be planted in corn than was planted this year, and there will be an increase of six per cent in acreage of land planted in wheat. Also, next year, there will be a decrease of over 6,000,000 acres in land planted with cotton. This will be of benefit to the entire country, for in the past too much land has been used in growing cotton. Next year, according to plans, there will be an increase of 15 per cent in the sweet potato crop, and a production of 6 per cent decrease in the tobacco crop. However, the fine wrapper tobacco grown in the Connecticut Valley will be produced in as great quantity as ever.

The New England dairy business is one of the most staple agricultural businesses in America", continued Secretary Jardine. "During the war, and during the subsequent deflation of Agriculture, dairying has remained practically the same. However, through efficient production and studied care of the cattle, the business is now increasing its value to the people yearly. In 1900 the 894,000 cows in the New England States produced an average of 4000 pounds of butter per cow. Now, in spite of the fact that there are only 800,000 cows raised annually, they produce an average of 5000 pounds each.

"New England has a great advantage over other parts of the country, in that it has one-fifth of the consumers of the country at its front door. New England has to pay no exhorbitant freight rates that tend to take away a great share of the profit of farming. Freight rates are so high in the west that it costs the consumer of California no more to buy Argentina products than it does to buy Iowa products. New England is without this disadvantage."