CREW ROWS SPEEDY TRIAL AGAINST TIME

Combination Crew, With Handicap, Wins Two-Mile Brush--Second University Eight Timed in 10.44

Red Top, Connecticut, June 14--Through a pelting rain and over waters unruffled by wind but with a strong following current, the University crew rowed four miles against the watch here this morning. At the end of the trial, with the men all in good condition after their pull, the time showed 19 minutes, 44 seconds.

This marks an improvement in time of over a minute on the figures returned last Saturday, when the eight rowed the full distance in 20.50, with conditions less favorable then they were today. The Yale crew also tried its strength against time on that day, and covered the distance two seconds slower than the Crimson oarsmen.

Finish in Good Condition.

In the trial today the crew broke with a racing start of 38 strokes to the minute, soon falling to a 32 beat, which held until the three mile mark was reached. Here the stroke mounted to 35. During the last few-yards the beat was lowered to 29. The men were is good condition to paddle back to the boat-house, but Coach E. J. Brown '96 took no chances with the inclement weather, and sent his charges back in the launch.

The Second University crew, the combination and the Freshman eight raced over a two-mile course this afternoon. The combination, with a six-length handicap, finished a half length ahead of the Second University boat, which led the Freshman by three lengths. The time of the Second crew was 10.44. The combination, with its initial advantage, broke fast and was never headed while the Second University rapidly cut down the lead and gave a great demonstration of power.

Light work is in order for the University crew tomorrow, and the eight will probably be sent over the fall course in another time trial on Thursday. The Yale university crew did not appear on the water this morning, but late in the afternoon came out for a short paddle up and down the stream. Quarrier and Warren, two Blue oarsmen who have been ailing this week, were pronounced fit for work today.

W. A. Meiklejohn, veteran referee of Harvard-Yale boat races, and appointed to officiate this year, will entertain the members of both crews at a dinner at the Hotel Griswold. New London, on Sunday night.