Forty Harvard Professors Announce Support of Alfred E. Smith--Reasons for Endorsement of Governor are Given

Forty Harvard professors from the College and Law School in a joint statement have expressed their support of Governor Alfred E. Smith for the presidency. The statement is as follows:

We, the undersigned, support for the Presidency Governor Alfred E. Smith.

He is prepared for that office by eight years of achievement as Chief Executive of a great state, where he has mastered the most difficult task which confronts the President, namely, to be able to convince legislators and the people of the wisdom of his plans. Despite a hostile legislature he has reorganized the governmental departments and secured many needed laws, a record which forecasts success in promoting and obtaining desirable legislation in Congress. He has selected judges and other high officers in New York for their ability and experience without regard to any political influences, and his choice has invariably received the approval of the legislature. We should expect his appointments to his Cabinet, the Supreme Court of the United States, and other important federal offices to show the same remarkable ability to pick, the best man for the job.

Some of us favor national prohibition and some oppose it. We think that differences of opinion on this question should not be allowed to overshadow other important matters, such as the establishment of friendly relations with other countries including Latin America; the protection of national waterpower; and the relief of agricultural depression, as to which governor Smith's desire for action contrasts sharply with the eight years' inactivity of the administration to which his opponent has belonged.

A political party which has included among its leading officials men guilty of conspiracy, fraud, and the concealment of vital evidence might well to its own advantage be deprived of power for a season. Men who for eight years have controlled the Republican party deserve to forfeit the confidence of the country. Neither the continued association of the Republican candidate with the reactionary element of the party nor his public utterances during the campaign give us any reason to believe that he has broken with that group. The best hope for a return to the liberalism of Roosevelt and Wilson lies in the election of Governor Smith.

Government is something greater than an efficiently administered business corporation with a multitude of inactive shareholders. We support Governor Smith, above all, because of his power to reverse the present trend toward political apathy and arouse in the citizens of the United States an active intelligent interest and participation in their government.

The statement was signed by the following: Kenneth D. Blackfan, professor of pediatrics; Edwin G. Boring, associate professor of psychology; Zechariah Chaffee, Jr., professor of law; Lemuel R. Cleveland, assistant professor of tropical medicine Edwin J. Cohn, assistant professor of physical chemistry James B. Conant, professor of chemistry C. T. Copeland, Boylston professor emeritus of rhetoric and oratory William J. Crosier; professor of general physiology; J. A. DeHass, professor or foreign trade; E. Merrick Dodd, Jr., Professor of law; Ralph M. Eaton, assistant, professor of philosophy; David L. Edsell, dean of the medical school; William Y. Elliott, assistant professor of government; Otto K. O. Folin, professor of biological chemistry; J. D. M. Ford, professor of French and Spanish; Roger S. Foster, assistant professor of history of German culture, emeritus, honorary curator of Germanic museum; Felix Frankfurter, professor of administrative law; Lawrence J. Henderson; Nathan Isaacs, professor of business law; Eldon R. James, professor of law; James M. Landis, assistant professor of law; Malcom McNair, assistant professor of marketing; Clavert Magruder, professor of law; Frederick Mark, assistant professor of history; Samuel Eliot Morison, professor of history; John H. Mueller, assistant professor of bacteriology and immunology; George W. Pierce, professor of physics; Bliss Perry, professor of English literature; Ralph Barton Perry, professor of Latin; Alfred C. Redfield, assistant professor of physiology; Francis B. Sayre, professor of law; Arthur M. Schlesinger, professor of history; Austin W. Scott, professor of law; Henry M. Sheffer, assistant professor of philosophy; O. M. W. Sprague, professor of banking and finance; F. W. Taussig, professor of economics; H. H,. Thirlby, assistant professor of industrial management; Eugene Wambaugh, Langdell professor or law; emeritus; Joseph T. Wearn, assistant professor of medicine; E. B. Wilson, professor of vital statistics; Benjamin F. Wright, assistant professor of government; Hans Zinsser, professor of bacteriology.ECONOMICS PROFESSOR WHO SUPPORTS GOVERNOR SMITH PROFESSOR F. W. TAUSSIG