COME FULL CIRCLE

In haste to join the parade of eminent critics who have aimed slings and arrows at the educational system in American universities, Dr. J. Edgar Park of Wheaton College witticised variously on the subject before an eminent gathering of teachers in Tremont Temple. "One of the greatest needs in this country today," he disclosed, at one point "is the establishment of two club colleges as near New York as possible which will help to free the regular colleges of the undesirabe materials now clogging them up.... They will offer close contact with bootleggers, lots of ash trays and easy chairs, all the advantages of fraternities and sororities, and plenty of opportunity for social recreation."

Unfortunately this constructive suggestion has been anticipated by another educational authority, the late Dr. Rabelais. The monk's visioned Abbaye de Theleme contained all the aids and conveniences thought out in the Dr. Park plan. It went further. The only regulation was "do what you will." But this platform unaccountably failed to attract a constituency. It has remained in darkness for a wheel's full circle. Yet the president of Wheaton College may succeed where the great laugher failed. He has the privilege of being able to confront teachers conclaves with his back to the club message. Rabelais could only address the intelligent few from behind a smoke screen of slapstick and in the language of a four-a-day fall guy.