INITIAL MEETING CALLS OUT SQUASH CANDIDATES

Winter Court Season Gets Under Way Tomorrow--Coach Cowles Depends on Nucleus of Veterans

The squash season will officially open in the University tomorrow afternoon when Coach Cowles meets all candidates for the squash team in the University squash courts at 5 o'clock. With four men from last year's team back and with a number of players from last season's Freshman team competing for positions on the first squad, prospects promise a continuation of past court successes.

W. J. Iselin '29, who is captain and Canadian champion, will undoubtedly play in the first position. B. H. Whitbeck '29, G. T. Francis, ocC., and A. G. Thacher '29 of last year's line-up will form a nucleus on which Coach Cowles may build his team.

Slow Ball Adopted

A slower ball has recently been adopted for squash, and it is thought by Coach Cowles that this may bring about a number of radical changes in the game. With the lively ball formerly in use, a smashing back court game was generally accepted as the most successful style of play, Now it is possible, however, that the opposite style will gain favor, with drop shots and corner shots in the front court proving most effective.

Coach Cowles expects as usual to start the annual fall tennis tournament immediately following the report of candidates. From the men who star in the tournament play a squash team will be picked to begin their tutelage under the University coach. Although the squash schedule has not as yet been definitely announced, it is expected that it will be completed soon.