JAZZ CHARACTERISTIC OF AMERICA-THEREMIN

THEREMINVOX PLAYED BY ETHER-WAVE MOVEMENTS

"Jazz is characteristic of America", said Leon Theremin; Russian scientist, professor in the Physico-Technical Institute of Leningrad, Russia, and inventor of the ether-wave music instrument. "Jazz is very interesting. It has had an influence on music and I believe that in the future it will have a greater influence, especially from the standpoint of new soundings".

Professor Theremin's remarks were made to a CRIMSON reporter yesterday following his Symphony Hall concert, through his secretary who interpreted.

"The American public is an appreciative public", he replied when questioned as to the artistic enthusiasm of America, "but Americans do not seem to see any interest in the problems of invention in music.

"Every people has its own ideas of art, determined by the inherent temperament of the race. The European temperament is enormously different in character from that found in America."

Utilizing the principles of science, Theremin believes to have solved some of the most important problems of the modern art of music.

Between the player and his instrument there are only ether-waves which are directed to the production of sound by the movement of the musician's hands in the air. Thereminvox, the ether-wave music instrument, and its influence upon musical development are of general interest internationally to the worlds of art and science.