FOOTBALL FOR LIGHTWEIGHTS

The athletic authorities at Brown University have come forward with a plan whose execution in the next few weeks will put into the field of intramural competition lightweight football teams similar in their function to the lightweight crews that take to the water in the spring. The plan sets 155 pounds as the line of demarcation; all men above and all below this limit will form separate squads from which class elevens will be chosen.

Unevenness of weights is generally a problem for any coaches of class football. In a group of men reporting for the game large, earnest, and unwieldy athletes who cannot make the grade on the first or second-string University squads stand beside equally earnest sportsmen whose 130 pounds is a handicap in any football circle. There is a consequent lack of balance in intramural football elevens that detracts from the zest of competition.

Segregation of the lightweights, many of whom are excellent football players with considerable school experience behind them, should obviate to a large degree this unfortunate disparagement. Inasmuch as it would broaden the scope of intramural football by increasing the numbers of teams in actions, the plan deserves a trial and encouragement.

Whether its adoption will draw to the field numbers of men who do not play even class football because of a lack of brawn is problematical. Many light men turn to track, crew, and other sports where they are at no disadvantage or special provision is made for them. Football has long been regarded as an oligarchy of the big boys; it may be doubtful whether enough candidates will report to fill out enough teams for a comprehensive schedule, but in their particular effort to attract more men to the game the proponents of the new plan are to be commended.