BARRETT, STELLAR TACKLE, WILL LEAD NEXT YEAR'S TEAM

Was Outstanding Performer in Line During Past Season--Prepared at Worcester Academy

James Elmer Barrett '30, of Leominster who starred in Harvard line play this season was chosen to lead the University eleven in 1929 at a meeting of football lettermen at the Varsity Club yesterday afternoon.

Barrett prepared for Harvard at Worcester Academy where A. E. French Jr. '29, the retiring captain, also had his preparatory training. His speed and ability gained him a regular position at tackle on his Freshman eleven. A year ago he joined the University squad and was just gaining recognition as an outstanding line player when injuries prevented him from playing during the rest of the season. This fall his pregame performances indicated that he would be a strong factor in the success of the Crimson line. Despite his weight he was one of the fastest charging linemen who performed in the Stadium this fall. His work in opening holes in the opposing lines contributed a great deal to the success of the Harvard offense. Yet no holding penalties are known to have been charged against him during the course of the season.

He was placed at left tackle early in the season in anticipation of Yale's off-tackle play through the left side of its opponent's line. So well did he carry out the task of stopping this play in the Yale game that he was named by the Associated Press as one of the outstanding tackles in the East.

Barrett is the fourth successive football captain from Massachusetts, his immediate predecessors being French, of Winchester, C. A. Pratt, Jr. '28, of New Bedford, and C. D. Coady '27 of West Newton.