DEPARTMENT OF SOCIAL ETHICS WILL CONTINUE

New Field of Concentration Will Not Supplant Existing Department--Takes Courses in Four Divisions

On Saturday morning the CRIMSON printed an article on the newly formed field of concentration, Sociology and Social Ethics, which is to take the place of the present field of Social Ethics. The headline which accompanied the story was misleading inasmuch as Sociology and Social Ethics is to be not a new department but merely a field of concentration. As a unit of instruction the Social Ethics department will continue as before. That new field of concentration will offer courses in several departments including Social Ethics, History, Economics, and Philosophy.

In the following letter Professor R. B. Perry points out the distinction between the new field of concentration and the present department of Social Ethics. . .

"To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

The Committee on Sociology and Social Ethics is in charge of a new field of concentration, and is in no sense a new department. This new field of concentration does not supplant the department of Social Ethics, but makes a large use of the courses which will continue to be given in that department.

I greatly regret that my brief statement of the purposes of the new field should have been accompanied by headlines and preamble which were contrary to fact, and by an editorial which was, to say the least, misleading. Very truly yours,   Ralph Barton Perry."