CRIME CONDITIONS ARE REVIEWED IN DEBATE

NORTHWESTERN SPEAKERS TAKE AFFIRMATIVE SIDE

Before a handful of auditors last night, the crime conditions of the country were thoroughly thrashed out by speakers representing Northwestern and Harvard Universities on the rostrum of Paine Hall. The debaters were arguing for and against respectively the question: "Resolved, That the principles of the Baumes Laws of New York be enacted in the several states."

According to a mutual agreement settled before the debate, and according to the principle governing all debates participated in by Northwestern University, there were no judges of last night's contest, and no decision was rendered by the audience on the merits of the debate. In a vote at the finish of the regular 18 minutes speeches, after several of the audience had aired their views on the subject, however, the audience went on record as in favor of the laws.

The University orators who took the floor last night against the adoption of the Baumes Laws were J. K. Fairbank '29, president of the University Debating Council, and J. K. Hurd '30. They were opposed by D. K. Carter and Stanford Clinton, who constituted the Evanston contingent.