HARVARD CONCEDED OUTSIDE CHANCE OF VICTORY OVER YALE

Crimson Holds Advantage in Field and Weight Events-Yale Strong in High Jump and Pole Vault

According to the estimate of E. C. Haggerty 1L., track captain last year, and former intercollegiate mile champion, the thirty-fifth dual meet between Harvard and Yale in the Stadium tomorrow will result in a Yale victory by a three point margin. Haggerty has prepared for the Crimson an event by event prediction which throws the meet to Yale 69 to 66.

In commenting on the comparative strength of the teams the former Crimson runner, who led his men last spring to within four points of breaking the Yale winning streak which has instead since 1922, pointed out that several of the events will probably be complete sweeps for both reams. The mile, and possibly the two mile, are conceded to the Crimson. The high hurdles and the high jump balance this advantage with two Yale monopolies. Eight points are granted to the Blue in both the 880 and 440 yard dates, but the same totals for the Crimson in the javelin and hammer offset these heavy scores.

Seconds and Thirds Crucial

The result of such an even contest for points in conceded events throws the final decision as to whether the long line of Yale victories is to be broken, into the second and third places. If Haggerty's figures hold good, a change of two points in the favor of Harvard will result in victory. On the other hand, a failure to make a clean sweep of the two mile, or to take third in the 220 or 440, will give the opponents a lead of even more than three points.

Harvard id fighting a decidedly uphill fight, with the responsibility resting upon men who will have to outdo themselves to break into the scoring and bring the Crimson total above the blue. Yale is conceded to hold a slight advantage in the running features, but the University appears to lead in the field events.

A. E. French '29, in addition to being the favorite in the 100-yard dash, is depended upon for a first in the broad jump. His leap of 23 feet 11 and one-half inches in the Dartmouth meet, although discounted by a favoring wind, is nearly one foot farther than any Yale jumper has reached this spring. The closest competition will come in this event when G. A. Lomasney '28 battles with Oldt and Brandenburg of the Blue aggregation for second or third place. Against Dartmouth last week Lomasney jumped 22 feet eight inches, while at the same time Brandenburg was doing 22 feet 11 and three-eighths inches at New Haven to take first place against Princeton.

Crimson Has Sure First in Shot Put

In the shotput the University has a strong bid for first and second places, with first practically certain. C. A. Pratt '28 set a new Dartmouth dual meet record last Saturday with a heave of 44 feet and 11 and three-fourths inches. At the same time Hall of Yale was taking first against Princeton at 44 feet six and one-half inches. The contest for second place between David Guarnaccia '29, who has been doing over 44 feet, and Hall, may be one of the turning points in the scoring. First and third places seem fairly well assured, as Stone, the second Yale shotputter, is expected to give place to Guarnaccia in the scoring.

Pratt and Guarnaccia are again counted on for points in the discus. Pratt is reported to have done over 140 feet in practice, and won the event at Dartmouth with a throw of 134 feet, two and one-half inches. Brandenburg took the Princeton discus event with 125 feet four inches. Guarnaccia has a chance to take third place in this event tomorrow, although the point is not being counted by even optimistic forecasters.

Moore Certain of Javelin Win

T. G. Moore '29 should have little difficulty in winning the javelin throw. His performance at Dartmouth, when he threw the weapon 194 feet four inches, seems to make him a favorite, even when the wind, which undoubtedly contributed to the distance, is taken into consideration. Pendleton of Yale took second in the Princeton meet with a throw of 152 feet nine and three-fourths inches, while Keesling was a third with a slight shorter distance. The fact that Pratt did 176 feet two inches at Dartmouth for a third place, gives good grounds for expecting at least eight points in this event. There is a bare possibility of making a clean sweep.

The hammer throw is another Crimson event, with the possibility of eight or nine points. G. I. Shapiro '28 and T. H. Alcock '29 are practically sure bets for first and second places. Crile of Yale won the Princeton hammer throw with 122 feet one inch, while Shapiro took the Dartmouth event at the same time with a throw of 138 feet six inches. Alcock came in second with 136 feet six and one-half inches, so that the possibility of taking eight points in the hammer is well established. Third place in this event is an open question, and may also swell the Crimson total.

Yale Strong in Pole Vault

With the decide Crimson tinge of the shotput, discus, javelin, and hammer throws, the first half of the field events would appear to give Harvard a large lead. But the pole vault and high jump are Yale events that will offset the Crimson advantage. Captain Sabin Carr of Yale will have no competition for first place. Second will also go to the Blue if Hardy enters. Third should be taken by either B. G. Burbank '28 or F. B. Clark '28, who consistently do 12 feet six inches or better. Strong competition may result for the one point going with third place, as the third entrant for Yale is not known. Burbank and Clark are consistent vaulters, and will make a hard fight to appear in the scoring.

The high jump is a Blue event. Harvard will be fortunate to take even one point. Neither P. S. Brown '30 nor F. T. Burgess '30 have done better than five feet nine inches consistently in clearing the bar, while Kaul, Clegg, and Larsen of Yale should all be able to better this mark.

Bare Chance to Win

Judging from totals derived by considering the points that are almost certain to fall as predicted, the meet comes out so close that anything may happen tomorrow. Such men as L. D. Brayton '28 and F. E. Cummings '30 in the 440, and T. F. Mason '30 in the 220, have a chance to swing the meet to the Crimson by running better than they have to date. Guarnaccia in the discus may also be a factor in carrying the Harvard total over the majority line.

YALE 69, HARVARD 66Haggerty's computation of the meet tomorrow by events follows:  Y  H100-yard dash  4  5220-yard dash  8  1400-yard dash  8  1880-yard dash  5  4One mile run  0  9Two mile run  0  9120-yard high hurdles  9  0220-yard low hurdles  6  3Broad-jump  3  6High-jump  9  0Pole vault  8  1Shot put  3  6Discus  4  5Javelin  1  8Hammer throw  1  8Totals  69  6