GIFT OF QUARTOS NOW IN WIDENER

Donation Most Valuable of Recent Years--Exhibit Planned for Treasure Room

Inside a few bags brought quietly into the Treasure Room of Widener Library late yesterday afternoon reposed the Quarto editions of the plays of Shakespeare and of other plays attributed to his authorship, donated by the family of the late William A. White '63, as one of the most valuable gifts ever made to the Library.

Examination of the gift disclosed 86 volumes instead of the 115 volumes catalogued in the White collection of Shakespeariana. The reduction in numbers was due to the omission by the donors of duplicate copies of certain of the works contained.

The Quarto editions of Shakespeare are especially valuable, since they are nearer to the poet himself in point of time than the familiar Folio editions, which were published after his death. The Quartos went to press during Shakespeare's own lifetime.

White a Leading Collector

Mr. White, one of the best known book collectors in America, has been a benefactor of Widener Library for a number of years. His collection of Shakespeariana was ranked among the world's foremost, and its acquisition by the Library, besides filling a conspicuous gap on the shelves, placed the Harvard collection in the top flight of world libraries. An exhibition of the books is planned for the Treasure Room.

The following telegram of appreciation and thanks was sent last night by President Lowell to Harold White '97, son of William A. White:

"The William Augustus White Shakespeare Quartos safely and gratefully received. This gift marks an epoch in the history of Harvard Library. Our warmest thanks to your mother, to the members of your family, and to yourself. (Signed) A. Lawrence Lowell."