MEETING TODAY TO OPEN POLO SEASON

New Field Behind Business School to be Used This Fall--Freshman Squad Will be Large

The University polo squad will have its initial meeting at 2 o'clock this afternoon in the Freshman Gymnasium. The first practice of the season for the University riders will be on Monday afternoon, at Soldiers Field. Fourteen aspirants for the Freshman team have already reported and another meeting for any other first year men who wish to try out for the team will be held from 12 to 12.30 today in Room A of the Harvard Union. Captain F. D. Sharp, coach of the two teams, expects a squad of about thirty men for his Freshman team.

Captain Sharp, who succeeds Major Wogan as polo coach, is from the 16th Field Artillery of Fort Meyer, Virginia, and is a three goal player in the army. For two years he played through the Pacific Coast championships on the Honolulu team. He has also had experience playing throughout most of the country on army teams. Followers of the sport will remember that Captain J. S. Tate and Lieutenant G. C. Benson, also from Fort Meyer, played on the army team that won the Junior championship two years ago.

First Practice Monday

The first practice for the University squad under the supervision of Captain Sharp will be held on Monday at 2.15 o'clock on the end of the class football fields behind the Business School. This new polo field, which was made this summer has been made available by the college through the efforts of W. J. Bingham '16, and the assistance of Dennis Enright. With the newly constructed field the University and Freshman squads will be able to practice every afternoon on Soldiers Field instead of being forced to journey to Dedham, Myopia, or Forbes Field, as they have had to in past years.

Although the field is not regulation size and therefore will not be available for scheduled contests, it is large enough for practice games between the Freshman and the University teams.

Private Ponies Kept

Captain Sharp also announced that arrangements have been made at the college stables which make it possible for players to keep their own ponies at college. This is the first year that this has been possible and it is hoped that men who have ponies will keep them here.

For the Freshmen, only those men who are taking Military Science will be allowed to use the college ponies, but Freshmen are also extended the privilege of keeping their ponies in the college stables.

At present there is no captain of the University team. The election has been put off until a later date, and at present the squad is being run by committee elected by last year's letter men.

Indoor practice for the two squads will start at Commonwealth Armory about

December 1,

The University squad, which will probably be augmented after the first few practices, is as follows.

E. G. T. Gerry '31, J. P. Cotton '29, J. P. Mandel '29, G. O. Clark '31, E. K. Jenkins '31, H. I. Nicholas '81, John Iselin '29, F. A. Clark '29, R. C. Walker '31, Thomas Glynn '29.

The following Freshmen have already reported for polo: Richard Crane '32, R. B. Harrison '32, T. A. Bridges '32, Blake O'Connor '32, F. E. Sondern '32, P. L. Hinkle '32, Robert Saudek '32, S. A. Chanler '32, Crispen Cooke '32, G. J. Pick '32, P. C. Collette '32, A. G. Howe '32, C. S. Tilden '32, Ellery Sedgewick '32, T. C. T. Buckley '32, A. L. Cackle '32, A. F. Megrew '32, Frederick Grinnell '32