BECK HALL AGAIN

With the entry of the University authorities into the lists against the proposed erection of an apartment, building on the site of Beck Hall, as reported in yesterday's edition of the CRIMSON, Harvard takes official action in an attempt to preserve a cherished landmark. Resistance to the march of progress is usually a hopeless task and the rapid growth of Cambridge as a commercial city has brought far more advantages on the whole than the occasional unfortunate results it has had upon the college. Yet there are instances where opposition is not only feasible but beneficial, and the present ease of Back Hall is one in point.

One of the oldest dormitory buildings outside the Yard, Beck Hall has never been in the possession of the University, but it has been a favorite of Harvard men all during the fifty old years of its life. For the past few years its status has been doubtful, and heretofore zoning regulations have effectively prevented the erection of any building such as is now contemplated. If they are overthrown in this Instance, a precedent will be set which will expose a large district adjoining the college to commercial development. Such a process of absorption of the residential areas of a growing city by the commercial is an old story, but there still remain in Cambridge many alternate regions for such a move; and it is to be hoped that the Board of Appeals, by whom the issue will be decided, will see fit to spare the one in question.