ELEVEN RUNS WILD OVER SCRUBS 73-0

Crimson, Paced by French, Uncovers Scoring Drive-Putnam Boots Over Try-for-points

Two rather serious casualties were the aftermath of a strenuous scrimmage held yesterday afternoon on Soldiers Field. G. C. Holbrook '30 sustained a leg injury which it is feared will keep him out for the season, while J. W. Rotter '30 will probably be kept on the side lines for a month with an injured arm.

The scrimmage itself revealed better than at any preceding session the latent power of the first team's running and passing attack. The scrubs were powerless to stop the hard running first team backs, and the latter had rolled up a 73 to 0 score before the approaching evening forced Coach Horween to call a halt in the session.

French Tallies First

Captain A. E. French '29 scored the first touchdown before two minutes were up. Taking the ball on his own 35-yard line on the first play, the Crimson leader pierced the center of the line and cutting sharply back raced through the scrub secondary for a touchdown. E. T. Putnam '30 booted the extra point into the score.

The next two touchdowns were the result of steady marches by the first team, both of them starting on the University 35-yard line. W. R. Harper '30 carried the ball over for the first score while David Guarnaccia '29 accounted for the second. Putnam's first try for the extra point was good but his second fell short.

The next score was the result of two plays, a 35-yard dash by Harper and a beautiful forward from French to Putnam carrying the ball 65 yards for the touchdown.

Passes Work Effectively

The next four touchdowns were made in rapid succession with S. L. Batchelder '31, T. W. Gilligan '31, and D. M. Greeley '31, accounting for the scores. Gilligan counted twice, once on a long pass from Batchelder. The first team's passes were working beautifully for long gains, the scrub defense seeming unable to diagnose the plays.

At this point a backfield composed of Greeley, Batchelder, Mason, and G. L. Graves '31 was put behind the scrub line and Sumner Putnam '31, Holbrook, T. G. Moore '29, and A. W. Huguley '31 going in for the first team. The ball was given to the University eleven on the scrub 15-yard line, and on the second play Putnam ran thirteen yards for a score. The pigskin was brought out and this time placed on the scrub 20-yard line. After Huguley had made a few yards on three line bucks. Holbrook circled the left wing for the last touchdown of the day.

The gridiron forces will have a day of rest today, while two scrimmages are on the program for next week in preparation for the Springfield game next Saturday.