A Proposed Solution

To the Editor of the CRIMSON:

For some time, now, the officers of the Junior class have been perplexed and baffled by the problematic nature of the Junior Class Dance. The most questionable element, of course, is the financial outcome of such an enterprise, if it is to be undertaken. The mere fact that a vote is being taken in the matter has already reduced the possibilities of its successful outcome. Juniors are beginning to conceive of a Prom, which, due to lack of financial support, will gather them in a cold hall and furnish them with bad music; perhaps they will starve to death before the clock strikes one!

Yet, strangely enough, there is another group which casts jealous eyes upon the group privileged to give a junior prom. The sophomore class is raising its voice, and in eloquent tones deplores the lack of Terpsichorean favor from the weak-kneed principles of tradition. The class of 1931 demands a sophomore dance! Financially, a sophomore dance would be a greater failure than a junior prom. Two financial failures would be a cordial invitation to abolish the Freshman Jubilee.

Why would they be failures? In a previous article the writer stated that there are certain groups in Harvard College, among which is the one with the social complex. This group will support college dances either through a spirit of tradition or a desire to let the "girl back home" get a view of Harvard College glory. The Freshman Jubilees and the Junior Proms are indeed sorry specimens of Harvard glory.

The solution, the only solution, then, is this: give a Junior-Sophomore prom. Since dance expenses are a fixed element, that is, they remain practically unchanged whether 400 or 600 attend, all receipts beyond a certain amount may be devoted toward making the dance more elaborate and attractive. Favors are an essential element of a successful dance. These are given neither at the Prom nor the Jubilee, and contribute toward their failures.

Let three juniors and three sophomores be appointed by their respective classes. From this number a chairman should be elected. Let applications be distributed to members of both classes. All receipts above fixed expenses should be devoted towards favors and decorations. All surplus resulting should be divided between the two classes in proportion to the members from each class who attended the dance. Peter Bove '29.