LINE CRACKS AS MARSTERS LEADS INDIANS' PARADE

Powerful Center is Tower of Strength in Hopeless Harvard Defense-No Injuries Result From Game

While an aroused, Yale building was putting Cagle's cohorts to flight in New Haven, a strong Dartmouth eleven buried the Harvard football team under the greatest total of points in the history of Crimson and Green gridiron rivalry.

Some 60,000 packed the Stadium Saturday afternoon and watched Harvard battle the Indians on even terms during the first half, succumb to the wizardry of Masters running in the third period and then wilt miserably under the final onslaughts of the Hanover forces. In the first quarter Marsters' work brought the ball from his team's 37-yard stripe, where he received a punt, to the 4-yard line, whence Sutton went over for the score. The Crimson reversed the order of things in the second period. B. Ticknor, after catching a Green dropkick, advanced to Harvard's 40-yard line; Potter hurled a long forward to O'Connell and a 15-yard penalty put the ball in position for Devens to smash through for a tally.

Decline in Third Period

Once again in the third stanza did the Harvard combination get inside the Green 10-yard line, but the attack stalled. From this point on Dartmouth and Marsters were supreme, except for one determined Crimson stand, beneath its own goal posts. The ball went to Harvard on downs. Potter kicked out 25 yards, and on the next play Marsters outran the field for a score. Coach Horween's players faded from the picture as the Indians, always on the attack well in enemy territory, riddled the Crimson, defense for there more touch downs.

Harvard Lineplay Dismal

Those are the simple facts of the story, but the clash proved that Dartmouth belongs among the elite and that Harvard has far from a good team. The game was won and lost in the forward lines. The Crimson rush line gave a dismal exhibition. On the defense great holes, through which the Dartmouth interference and ball carriers paraded, were blasted in it by the rugged Green charges. It was the line's failure to make openings which sealed the doom of the Harvard running attack and the Crimson passers were hurried by the India linemen sifting through the porous opposing wall.

Ticknor Plays Well

The bright spot of the afternoon was the play of B. H. Ticknor '31. Suffering from a leg injury throughout the week preceding the game, he was inserted in the starting lineup at the last minute. The rangy center was in on every play and made the majority of the tackles for his team. Devens too turned in a good performance. The powerful Sophomore halfback was the only Crimson ball-carrier who could make any progress and it was only by dint of sheer strength that he plunged through the solid masses which confronted him.

The timing and interference of the University team was also off-color. The runner was stopped time and again when his interferers failed to clear out in front of him and piled up when they hit the Indian defenses.

No injuries resulted from the game and this week should find considerable reorganization in the Harvard football camp