LANGUAGE EXAMS BEING TAKEN BY MORE MEN

PERCENTAGE PASSING LATIN TEST EXCEPTIONALLY LOW

The number of men taking language examinations last September took a decided jump over that of 1928, according to figures revealed yesterday at the Recorder's office in University Hall. The percentage of men passing the various Latin, French, and German examinations, however, was shown to the consistently low, though it follows no definite curve.

According to the statistics, 58 more students than in 1928 attempted this year's tests. On the other hand, 249 fewer took the examinations than in September 1925, during which academic year the system providing for the passing off of language requirements with the attainment of certain marks is specified courses was instituted. In that year, 1109 students took the examinations, while this fall only 920 tried the tests. The general decrease is attributed directly to the alteration in the means of receiving credit for the requirements.

Only 30.4 percent of all those taking the examinations were successful; and in the reading Latin test, but 20 passed out of a possible 172 men. Thirty-two students attempted the elementary French of whom only six were given a passing grade. In elementary German, out of 80 candidates, 26 were successful, and of the 82 students taking the reading German test, 30, or 36.5 percent, were successful. Reading French was the most popular, 551 students taking the examination. In this test, a large proportion, comparatively speaking, was successful, 198 passing the requirement.

The figures show that the elementary requirements are met by most entering students, either through the college Board examinations or beginning College courses.