FORD'S PLAN WILL GIVE PRACTICAL INSTRUCTION

PURPOSE TO PRODUCE LEADERS NOT MERE MECHANICS

"The method of instruction at the Edison Institute of Technology is likely to turn out some excellent men;" said G. F. Doriot, associate professor and assistant dean of the Harvard Business School, when interviewed yesterday. "On the other hand, I do not believe that the general run of men will come up to the standard of the regular type of education, which does, after all, drill in essentials."

"For the scientific end. Ford has transported Edison's old laboratory there, it is also along this line that he has been garnering old machines and tools from every corner of the world. A great deal of his time has been spent, incidentally, in forming a typical New England village right in Dearborn, Michigan. Here, there will be no automobiles allowed; visitors will be transported in carriages; and it will be possible to see typical New England tradesmen at work at all professions.

Project of Henry Ford

"This new system, the latest project of Henry Ford, plans to inspire students by putting them into actual touch with every possible stage of development along the lines which they are following. That is, machines of every stage will be working there for the students to examine and understand thoroughly. Thus instead of being forced to read or examine diagrams on these subjects, they may get into the spirit of what they are doing by dealing with the machines themselves, and this may be an added spur to further research. In a word, the students at this new school are to learn in practice what is now taught in theory.

"The purpose of this work is not to produce good mechanics, but to develop a first rate group of leaders in various fields. Professional ambition will be sought for in any candidates for the Institute; previous education is to mean very little in the selection of the students, provided they have a certain amount of innate ability combined with intellectual curiosity and aspiration."