TEMPORARY STANDS TO CLOSE STADIUM

Removable Stands Will Cost Half as Much, Says Bingham--Old Cage Will be Moved

Contrary to a previous decision, the open end of the Harvard Stadium will be filled this fall by temporary steel stands, it was announced last night by W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Harvard Athletics. The problem of seating the Harvard football crowds, which has been pressing since the condemnation of the old wooden structure used at Soldiers Field for a score of years, has reached a solution for the present at least. The approval of the Harvard Corporation has been secured, and Coolidge, Shepley, Bulfinch and Abbott, architects, are now engaged on the plans.

Permanent Stands Too Expensive

The decision announced on February 6 by the Harvard authorities stated that permanent steel stands would close the open end of the concrete horseshoe. Investigation has revealed that the steel and concrete seats, which would be permanent, would cost $300,000, which Mr. Bingham considered too great an expenditure for seats at the end of the field. A reconsideration has brought the agreement to construct removable stands which will meet fully the requirements of the Boston Building Commission, which condemned the old wooden seats, and will not change the capacity of the Stadium to a great extent.

The cost of the temporary stands will be about $150,000, exactly half the cost of the permanent structure originally planned.

The new structure, which will be built in the form of a crescent, will be removed at the close of the football season, according to Mr. Bingham. It may be found necessary to move the Carey Building, the old cage which is still in use, but this building is too valuable to Harvard athletes to be disposed of entirely.