CANDIDATES FOR CRIMSON CALLED

Sophomores Given Chance to Try Out for Editorial Board--All Tests to Last Nine Weeks

At 7 o'clock tonight three CRIMSON competitions will be thrown open to the Class of 1932, while Sophomores will be given their initial opportunity to try out for the editorial board of the University daily. The departments open to the first year men are the news, business, and photographic. No experience is necessary for entrance into any one of these competitions, and all men interested are especially urged to attend tonight's meeting.

R. A. Stout '29, President of the CRIMSON, will address the aspirants, outlining their work and explaining CRIMSON standards and qualifications for editorship. The new men will then be shown the various departments in which they will work, and the details of their several tasks will be outlined by active members of the various boards.

The duty of the prospective news editor consists largely in collecting and writing up all news concerning the University. Wide scope for original effort and free-lance reporting is offered to the alert candidate, and a minimum of cut and dried routine work is required.

The chief office of the business candidates will be to solicit advertisements in Cambridge and Boston. Opportunity for contact with business leaders is afforded which should prove most helpful in the training of efficient business editors.

An article appearing elsewhere in this morning's paper, the last of a series of four on CRIMSON competitions, deals with the work and attractions for photographic competitors. In general they receive excellent experience in practical photography under experienced supervision. No equipment is required.

Competitors for berths on the editorial board will be expected to submit at least one editorial daily. Intimate knowledge of what is going on both inside and outside the University is of paramount importance.

The fact that these competitions are the first of their kind open to the respective classes means that successful candidates will have an excellent opportunity to get invaluable experience as editors and eventually win an important office on the paper.