FORCING THE ISSUE

Devotees of modern literature at Harvard will welcome the generous gift of Mr. Morris Gray to Widener Library as a definite step toward the stimulation of interest in contemporary poetry in the College. Not only will the volumes purchased now and in the future fill a crying need to Widener and make a valuable audition to its shelves, but it is to be hoped the gift will aid in calling attention to the present neglect of contemporary literature by the Department of English.

Modern literature courses are rarities on the curriculum of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences. During 1928-29 the omission of courses such as English 26 and English 16 has left the catalogue barren indeed for the student searching a course in contemporary poetry or prose. At least one regular course covering the twentieth century literary field and its tendencies would undoubtedly find a sufficient patronage to warrant it.

Mr. Gray's donation with its assurance of keeping Widener supplied with the best in English and American poetry as it is published, will not only enable Harvard to have the finest collection of modern poetry in the country but will make the neglect of such material by the English Department inexcusable.