DEBATE VALUE OF JURIES AND ADVERTISEMENTS

OPPOSE BROWN TONIGHT IN PAINE HALL

University debaters engaged in two contests Saturday night, one team meeting Carleton College here under a no-decision agreement, and another journeying to Wesleyan to lose by a vote of the audience. Tonight in Holden Chapel still a third group will face Brown University.

Not having to court a decision, the Harvard-Carleton speakers in Paine Hall could afford to step down from the rostrum of oratory and let the argument proceed in a series of quick rebuttals. The question was "Resolved, That the jury system should be abolished," and Johnson, of Carleton, introducing the affirmative case, claimed that the jury is a static part of a dynamic society. A. L. Raffa ocC reported that it is based upon the common man and is essential to democracy: at which Rowe replied that "the ordinary, common man is common enough" and so unfit to judge questions of fact. J. E. Willard '30, attacking from a new angle, felt that "the jury system makes law the instrument of man, not man the instrument of law"; whereupon McBride announced that "there is no danger of tyranny today". H. A. Wolff '29, summing up, pleaded that changes might be advisable, but not complete abolishment.

Wolff Scintillates

Wolff was the wittiest and more entertaining speaker of the evening and appeared to win the approval of the audience to his side of the argument. At the end of the debate many questions were asked of the speakers from the floor.

At Wesleyan the audience voted in favor of the home team, which supported the affirmative of "Resolved, That this house deplores the large part that advertising plays in modern civilization." Wesleyan effectively opposed Harvard's claims that advertising is beneficial as an innovating influence, raises the standard of living, and is economically necessary. Representing the Crimson were D. I. Cooke '31 and S. G. Silverman '30.

Harvard's third debate in as many days is scheduled for tonight at 8.15 o'clock, when Brown is faced in Holden Chapel. The University debaters, upholding the affirmative of the same question as at Wesleyan, will consist of J. F. Harding '30, G. W. Harrington '30, and P. J. W. Bove '29. The speeches will be 15 minutes long, with the first affirmative man devoting five minutes of his time to a final rebuttal. The audience will render the decision.