FIELD OF SOCIOLOGY AND SOCIAL ETHICS REVISED

GROUP FOUR STANDING REQUIRED BY END OF SOPHOMORE YEAR

Revisions in the plans of concentration in Sociology and Social Ethics have been announced by Professor R. B. Perry, chairman of the committee in charge.

The field of Sociology and Social Ethics is not allied to any single department, but is administered by members of various departments. It was created to provide an opportunity "for the combination of a descriptive study of the nature of human society with an examination, by the method of criticism and evaluation, of different sociological theories and of prepared solutions of selected contemporary social problems."

Society Studied

Under the revised plans, two main parts of the general field are recognized. One deals with social structure and development, the other with social theory and standards. It is intended to require the student to study society both descriptively and critically and to distinguish clearly between the two modes of approach.

Two other changes have been made. Three special fields have been opened, one treating types of sociological theory, another the relationship which does and should exist between the individual and society, and the third the social history of the United States. The final change is a widening in the number and range of the related courses which will be required. Preparation for the final examination at the end of the Senior year will involve selection of courses in the several social sciences offered by different departments. Students will be expected to attain in these, by the close of their Sophomore year, at least a group four standing.