WHAT IS THE SURPLUS FOR?

The expense account of the H. A. A. for the past year shows a net income of $92,961.47 over expenses. This surplus is left even after the large expenditure of $226,961.82 for "permanent improvements". In a year in which less building were done, it would not be unreasonable to expect a net surplus of well over $200,000.

At least part of this sum might be profitably used to defray the expenses of maintaining and operating the university's athletic equipment. At present this item is met almost entirely out of charges to students using the facilities. Locker fees, squash and tennis court charges, and the swimming pool charge are the main sources of this income. The amount spent in this way during the past year was$89,589.43, or about $3,000 less than the surplus plied up in a year which was scarcely expected to show any profit at all.

No one will deny that the money going into the H. A. a. coffers should be used for the benefit of Harvard men, present as well as future. What way could be more effective than the making of athletic facilities available, and within the financial reach of every one in the university?