HODDER NAMED COACH OF 1934 HOCKEY TEAM

HUGE SQUAD TO START PRACTICE THIS AFTERNOON

W. J. Bingham '16, Director of Athletics at Harvard University, announced last night the appointment of Clark Hodder '25 as Freshman hockey coach, and of Charles Lakin '30, as second team hockey coach.

Hodder played as a forward on his Freshman and University teams, occupying the center position during the entire 80 minutes of the final game with Yale in the season of 1925. Since that time he has played amateur hockey both on the Boston Athletic Association and on the University Club teams. Lakin played at right wing on the University hockey team last year, and until the organization of the second team will assist Coach Stubbs with the University squad.

At a meeting of the Freshman candidates yesterday afternoon in the Smith Halls Common Room, Harwood Ellis '31 spoke of the new hockey rules, emphasizing the necessity of breaking away from whatever technique the candidates may have formed at preparatory school, and of adapting themselves to the new system.

Coach Hodder spoke next, touching upon the insufficient time the Freshman squad would have on the ice, and of the necessity that they do a great deal of self-conditioning. He said that a quick cut will be obligatory, since facilities are too small to accommodate the entire number of those who have signed up for the sport.

Assistant manager Eustis Dearborn '32 outlined the general characteristics of the coming season, which include a probable week-end trip to Dartmouth. The squad will report for the first time today, meeting in two installments.