THE GILDED PAUNCH

This evening some 40 men will step into the society of those elect whom the University allows to present an expansive equatorial region to the envious eyes of the not-so-scholastically fortunate. In other words President Lowell is to hand out Phi Beta Kappa keys to those students whose intellectual harvest is leavened with the appropriate number of alphas and betas. May Diogenes discover, or CRIMSON repertorial inquisitors invent the recipient of such a pendant who is proud to wear a wrist-watch.

Phi Beta Kappa means "Learning at the Helm of Life." But Heaven help the ship of state that has a scholar for a pilot. Today perhaps a scientist can chart the seven seas, but it takes a captain with control and leadership to batten down the hatches. The Phi Beta key, its advocates announce, can open many doors, but hatches, are something else again. And anyway, too many males have left their coats quite carelessly unbuttoned for the abdominal honor to be considered a master key to the most exclusive dwellings.