SEEING IS BELIEVING

From the, realm of canned music and canned entertainment in the form of talkies, the scholastic world may soon expect to find that canned education may be easily transported from the laboratories of the great scientists to countless classrooms throughout the United States.

There have always been advocates of the theory of visual education, a medium of teaching which has only recently been developed to any considerable extent. It has been difficult, naturally enough, to supply adequate funds to maintain an establishment devoted to producing instructive films. Such films are of course rented to schools and institutions as near the cost of production as possible, and the profits are not large as compared with the amount of money invested in the business.

Dr. Woodworth's bright predictions as to the future of the visual method of education, particularly in relation to the sciences, shows that the efforts of the University Film Foundation have not been misdirected. The films which can be made here under the best conditions of scientific research will be of the greatest value to those schools and colleges, which are not able to provide the necessary equipment to conduct research on their own behalf. Prominent scientists who have formerly only been able to reach a small number of students, now find that their discoveries and experiments maybe re-enacted time and again, before a vastly widened audience.

Whether some phases of the teaching of the arts, as well as the sciences can be brought within the scope of this new method remains still undetermined. Whatever the answer, it is fairly certain that the future will see specialized instruction broadcast through the medium of moving pictures.