WYOMING TO TAKE GROUP TO AZORES

R. O. T. C. Officer Will Lead Harvard and Northwestern Forces--Wygant Recounts History of Island

The U. S. S. Wyoming will embark the Naval Science department of the University at the Boston Navy Yard on June 20, according to an announcement made recently.

The group will sail for the island of Fayal in the Azores, arriving there June 28, where the students will remain until July 2, returning to Boston July 10.

Fifty-two men have signified their intention of going on the cruise, combining with the Naval R. O. T. C. unit of Northwestern University. Captain F. L. Perry will probably be in command of the outfit. The students will not replace the regular crew of the battleship, but will spend most of their time putting book knowledge into experience. They will learn how to operate the guns and will study practical navigating.

In a recent interview with a CRIMSON reporter Captain B. B. Wygant, Professor of Naval Science, reviewed the history of Fayal.

Fayal has a population of 20,000; Horta, its main port, 7,000. The island is owned by Portugal. The 69 square miles of Fayal is very mountainous and should furnish plenty of exercise for any aspiring mountain climbers among the R. O. T. C. unit.

This small Island was the scene of one of the most famous battles in the War of 1812. An American privateer, equipped with 90 men, nine guns, and commanded by Samuel Chester Reid, was lying off the coast of Fayal.

On September 26, 1814 three British ships, the "Carnation", "Rota", and "Plantagenet" came into the harbor, and their crews put out in rowboats to try to board the American privateer by surprise. They were repulsed, and half of the 400 English sailors were killed.

James Barnes in his "Naval Actions of 1812" says, "Never in any of the hostile meetings between frigates and fleets of the United States and England has such destruction and carnage been recorded in proportion to the number engaged, as is shown by the loss of the British on this occasion."