BAXTER IS MASTER OF SEVENTH UNIT IN HOUSING PLAN

Choice of Baxter Completes Number of Heads--Graduate of Williams in Class of 1914

James Phinney Baxter, assistant professor of History, has been named as Master of the seventh House to be built under the Harvard House Plan, by vote of the Board of Overseers meeting at University Hall yesterday afternoon.

Professor Baxter was graduated from Williams College in 1914, and returned there for his A.M. degree in 1921. He received an A.M. from Harvard in 1923, and a Ph.D. in 1926. During 1921-22 he was an instructor in Colorado College. From 1925 until 1927 he was an Instructor in History at Harvard, and in the latter year he became Assistant Professor of History.

He is a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences. His publications include articles on naval and diplomatic history, and, particularly, numerous contributions to the American. Historical Review and the American Journal of International Law. In 1924-25 he was John Harvard Travelling Fellow, and in 1927 he was sent, abroad as a research fellow of the Bureau of International Research for Harvard and Radcliffe.

The six Masters of Houses previously announced are Professor C. N. Greenough '98, Master of Dunster House, Professor J. L. Coolidge '95, Master of Lowell House, and four Masters of Houses not yet named, Professor R. B. Merriman '96, and Assistant Professors E. A. Whitney '17, K. B. Murdock '16, and R. M. Ferry '12.

The appointment of Professor Baxter completes the list of House Masters for the new Plan. The applications for rooms in Dunster and Lowell houses are now in circulation, and the buildings themselves are nearing completion. Plans for the remaining five houses are still in process of preparation, but the houses are expected to be ready for occupancy in September, 1931.