CRIMSON OARSMEN IN FIRST WORKOUT ON RIVER

COACHING LAUNCHES NOT YET IN THE WATER

Dodging the few remaining ice cakes left by the recent burst of warm spring weather, 18 upperclass crews covered the stretch between Newell Boathouse and the upper end of the one half mile straight stretch on the Charles yesterday afternoon in the first outdoor practice of the 1930 season. The crews will abandon the three practice periods a week schedule for daily rowing as long as the river remains open.

Coach Whiteside helped to fill the need of coxswains for the unexpected workouts by holding the tiller ropes when Crew B of the University squad embarked on its two mile jaunt. E. L. Millard '31 substituted at No. 4 for Lawrence Grinnell '31 in this shell, in which M. R. Brownell '30, Captain L. W. Dickey '30. A. N. Webster '31, and M. M. Johnson '31 form the stern four. The remaining three crews of the University squad took their-paddles without coaching assistance since the fleet of launches has not yet been shipped onto the river.

Five class crews paddled up to a point a quarter of a mile below the Brighton Bridge in two stretches and returned in one. Nine 150-pound eights also covered the distance with few stops and at a low beat. No attempt was made to raise the stroke above the small digits of the twenties in any of the crews but the shells slipped along the flat water easily and much liveliness was evident among the sweepswingers.